This page is a work in progress. I don’t necessarily agree with every viewpoint on every site here, but I’ve learned something valuable in each of these places. I’ll add items here as I think of them. Enjoy!
ESV Scripture Journals – you can take notes and reference them for the rest of your life!
- YouVersion The devotional plans on this app tend to try to appeal to a wide audience, so I mostly just use this for a quick and easy Bible app. You can also easily highlight and take notes.
- Ligonier: for Apple, Android – From the ministry of R.C. Sproul.
- First5 – This is an app for women with a daily devotional on every chapter of the Bible, an online community, and study guides, which I personally review.
- Oakhurst Baptist Church, Charlotte – My home church. I love these sermons.
- Desiring God Sermons and Devotionals from John Piper and others
- The Sword and the Trowel
Other Tools / Websites
- The Bible project – Awesome videos summarizing every book of the Bible, with free poster downloads. I don’t agree with all of their theology! Take what is good from it!
- Look at an ancient scroll of Isaiah, part of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- Gospel believing Church Search 1 https://www.9marks.org/church-search – Search for a good nearby church! Just a note that there are churches on this site and themselves here, they aren’t necessarily endorsed by 9Marks.
- Gospel believing Church Search 2 https://founders.org/church-search/
Free Greek and Hebrew interlinear!
This is a must-have resource (type) when dealing with specific word study) https://www.stepbible.org/ PS This works amazing on a mobile phone.
Logos Bible Software
used by pastors, FREE! https://www.logos.com/get-started
Highly recommended scholarly commentary sets found in libraries like GCTS, RTS, and in Bible Software. All Christian pastors/teachers/writers really should be using resources like these:
- Word Biblical Commentary
- NIV Application Commentary
- Tyndale Old/New Testament Commentaries
- New International Biblical Commentary
- New International Commentary on the Old Testament
- New American Commentary
- Baker Exegetical Commentary
- Pillar New Testament Commentary
- New International Greek Testament Commentary
- Eerdmans commentary on the bible
- Banner of Truth Commentaries
Very good ones free on Studylight.org:
- Expositor’s Bible Commentary
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible
- The Pulpit Commentaries
- Spurgeon’s Verse Expositions of the Bible
- Wesley’s Explanatory Notes
These are my recommendations (based on recommendations by ministries like Desiring God) on commentaries per book of the Bible. NOTE: The series is abbreviated when it has already been mentioned:
- Genesis: Wenham (Word Biblical Commentary) or Sailhamer (Expositor’s Bible Commentary)
- Exodus: Enns (NIV Application Commentary)
- Leviticus: Hartley (WBC)
- Numbers: Wenham (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries)
- Deuteronomy: McConville (AOTC ); Wright (New International Biblical Commentary)
- Joshua: Woudstra (New International Commentary on the Old Testament) or Hess (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary)
- Judges, Ruth: Block (New American Commentary)
- 1 & 2 Samuel: Bergen (NAC)
- 1 & 2 Kings: House (NAC)
- 1 Chronicles: Braun (WBC)
- 2 Chronicles: Dillard (WBC)
- Ezra and Nehemiah: Williamson (WBC)
- Esther: Baldwin (TOTC)
- Job: Andersen (TOTC)
- Psalms: Kidner (TOTC)
- Proverbs: Kidner (TOTC); Bridges (Banner of Truth)
- Ecclesiastes: Longman (NICOT)
- Song of Songs: Longman (NICOT)
- Isaiah: Oswalt (NICOT)
- Jeremiah: Thompson (NICOT)
- Jeremiah & Lamentations: Harrison (TOTC)
- Ezekiel: Allen (WBC)
- Daniel: Baldwin (TOTC); Longman (NIVAC)
- Minor Prophets: McComiskey (3 volumes; superb)
- Matthew: D.A. Carson (EBC)
- Mark: Lane (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
- Luke: Bock (Baker Exegetical Commentary)
- John: Carson (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
- Acts: Longenecker (EBC)
- Romans: Moo (NICNT); Schreiner (BEC); Murray (Eerdmans)
- 1 Corinthians: Fee (NICNT)
- 2 Corinthians: Barnett (NICNT)
- Galatians: Longenecker (Word)
- Ephesians: O’Brien (PNTC)**
- Philippians: O’Brien (New International Greek Testament Commentary)
- Colossians/Philemon: O’Brien (WBC)
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians: Bruce (WBC)
- Pastoral Epistles: Mounce (WBC)
- Hebrews: Ellingworth (NIGTC)
- James: Moo (PNTC)
- 1 Peter: Grudem (Tyndale New Testament Commentary)
- 2 Peter and Jude: Baukham (WBC); Moo (NIVAC)
- Johannine Epistles: Kruse (PNTC); Stott (TNTC)
- Revelation: Beale (NIGTC)
- **While the content here from O’Brien might itself be beneficial to read, I learned it may be hard to acquire these resources as the publishers have pulled the content, deeming it suspect of plagiarism.