This page is a work in progress. I don’t necessarily agree with every viewpoint on every site here, but I’ve learned something valuable in each of these places. I’ll add items here as I think of them. Enjoy!
ESV Scripture Journals – you can take notes and reference them for the rest of your life!
- YouVersion The devotional plans on this app tend to try to appeal to a wide audience, so I mostly just use this for a quick and easy Bible app. You can also easily highlight and take notes.
- Ligonier: for Apple, Android – From the ministry of R.C. Sproul.
- First5 – This is an app for women with a daily devotional on every chapter of the Bible, an online community, and study guides, which I personally review.
- Oakhurst Baptist Church, Charlotte – My home church. I love these sermons.
- Desiring God Sermons and Devotionals from John Piper and others
- The Sword and the Trowel
Free Greek and Hebrew interlinear!
Logos Bible Software – used by pastors, basic version is FREE! https://www.logos.com/get-started
- The Bible project – videos summarizing every book of the Bible, with free poster downloads. I don’t agree with all of their theology– take what you can from it!
- Look at an ancient scroll of Isaiah, part of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- Gospel believing Church Search 1 https://www.9marks.org/church-search – Search for a good nearby church! Just a note that there are churches on this site and themselves here, they aren’t necessarily endorsed by 9Marks.
- Gospel believing Church Search 2 https://founders.org/church-search/
- Reformed Sage – Reformed / Biblical / theological art, coffee, mugs, stickers
- monergism.com – Articles, MP3s & Resources on the Historic Christian Faith
- https://fightcoffee.org/ – Buy your coffee here and fight human trafficking at the same time. This was started by a personal friend of mine.
- www.bestcommentaries.com – the rotten-tomatoes of Bible commentaries (bible commentary search and ratings)
- Here is a list of resources I’ve compiled to help Christians defend against secular worldviews such as Critical Theory, Social Justice, and Intersectionality
Highly recommended scholarly commentary sets found in libraries like GCTS, RTS, and in Bible Software. All Christian pastors/teachers/writers really should be using resources like these:
- Word Biblical Commentary
- NIV Application Commentary
- Tyndale Old/New Testament Commentaries
- New International Biblical Commentary
- New International Commentary on the Old Testament
- New American Commentary
- Baker Exegetical Commentary
- Pillar New Testament Commentary
- New International Greek Testament Commentary
- Eerdmans commentary on the bible
- Banner of Truth Commentaries
Very good ones FREE on Studylight.org:
- Expositor’s Bible Commentary
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible
- The Pulpit Commentaries
- Spurgeon’s Verse Expositions of the Bible
- Wesley’s Explanatory Notes
These are my recommendations on commentaries per book of the Bible. These scholars are often devoted particularly to their book of study here. These are sometimes expensive but worth the investment. NOTE: The series is abbreviated when it has already been mentioned:
- Genesis: Wenham (Word Biblical Commentary) or Sailhamer (Expositor’s Bible Commentary)
- Exodus: Enns (NIV Application Commentary)
- Leviticus: Hartley (WBC)
- Numbers: Wenham (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries)
- Deuteronomy: McConville (AOTC ); Wright (New International Biblical Commentary)
- Joshua: Woudstra (New International Commentary on the Old Testament) or Hess (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary)
- Judges, Ruth: Block (New American Commentary)
- 1 & 2 Samuel: Bergen (NAC)
- 1 & 2 Kings: House (NAC)
- 1 Chronicles: Braun (WBC)
- 2 Chronicles: Dillard (WBC)
- Ezra and Nehemiah: Williamson (WBC)
- Esther: Baldwin (TOTC)
- Job: Andersen (TOTC)
- Psalms: Kidner (TOTC)
- Proverbs: Kidner (TOTC); Bridges (Banner of Truth)
- Ecclesiastes: Longman (NICOT)
- Song of Songs: Longman (NICOT)
- Isaiah: Oswalt (NICOT)
- Jeremiah: Thompson (NICOT)
- Jeremiah & Lamentations: Harrison (TOTC)
- Ezekiel: Allen (WBC)
- Daniel: Baldwin (TOTC); Longman (NIVAC)
- Minor Prophets: McComiskey (3 volumes; superb)
- Matthew: D.A. Carson (EBC)
- Mark: Lane (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
- Luke: Bock (Baker Exegetical Commentary)
- John: Carson (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
- Acts: Longenecker (EBC)
- Romans: Moo (NICNT); Schreiner (BEC); Murray (Eerdmans)
- 1 Corinthians: Fee (NICNT)
- 2 Corinthians: Barnett (NICNT)
- Galatians: Longenecker (Word)
- Ephesians: Bruce (NICNT), Lincoln (WBC)
- Philippians: O’Brien (New International Greek Testament Commentary)
- Colossians/Philemon: O’Brien (WBC)
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians: Bruce (WBC)
- Pastoral Epistles: Mounce (WBC)
- Hebrews: Ellingworth (NIGTC)
- James: Moo (PNTC)
- 1 Peter: Grudem (Tyndale New Testament Commentary)
- 2 Peter and Jude: Baukham (WBC); Moo (NIVAC)
- Johannine Epistles: Kruse (PNTC); Stott (TNTC)
- Revelation: Beale (NIGTC)